The EMS Designation
The Equipment Management Specialist designation is a recognized standard for developing the qualifications of a person involved with equipment in a private, municipal, or government fleet within the first five (5) years of career development. It is an attainable goal for individuals who want to obtain the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to become a Certified Equipment Manager. To achieve this goal it takes personal motivation and depends on dedication to professionalism and acceptance of the challenge.
EMS candidates must complete an application, study the Career Equipment Fleet Manager manual, and take the EMS exam. Candidates also have the opportunity to attend the CEM Institute and network with top industry professionals and an industry mentor. The EMS exam is available only online.
Areas of competency tested
An Equipment Manager Specialist is an individual who possesses basic knowledge of the five core standards that include the following 17 areas: Benchmarking; Customer Service; Employee Training; Environmental Requirements as they apply to fleet management; Financial management or governmental financial management; Human Resources; Life Cycle Analysis; Procurement and Acquisition of Equipment; Outsourcing; Parts Management; Preventive Maintenance; Risk Management; Safety; Shop/Facilities Management; Specifications; Information Technology; and Warranty and Performance Guarantees.
The purpose of the examination is to assist individuals who want to obtain the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to become a Certified Equipment Manager. The experience will help the individual develop a depth of understanding of fleet management skills, and the ability to interact on a professional level with all fleet-related professionals.
Applicants desiring to sit for the EMS examination must meet the established criteria that may be changed from time to time by the Certification Commission.
- Zero to five years equipment/fleet industry experience
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
EMS Exam Only: $225 Member and $425 Non-Member.
Career Equipment Fleet Manager manual: PDF copy $129 Member and $169 Non-Member. Hardcopy $225 Member and $275 Non-Member.
Level 1 (EMS) Online Course: 17 course package $749 Member and $899 Non-Member.
Taking the EMS Exam
Option 1: EMS Learning and Exam Online
- If you are not a member or registered with AEMP, click on the link below and proceed to the New Visitor Registration
- If you are a member or previously registered, proceed to the on-line EMS application
- Once your registration and application are completed, you will be sent a login and password to AEMP University (www.aempu.org). This will give you access to purchase online learning such as the Career Equipment Fleet Manager manual, Level 1 EMS education, or the EMS exam. Member or Non-member fees are paid securely online.
Option 2: Study a hard copy of the Career Equipment Fleet Manager manual and take the EMS Exam online.
- Purchase a hard copy of the Career Equipment Fleet Manager (CEFM) manual by clicking on the link below. Member or Non-member fees are paid securely online.
- Complete the online EMS Application, study the CEFM manual and take the EMS Exam online. Exam fees apply.